Sydlexia

Life of a Dyslexic Student. Dealing with student life: homework, notes, social activities, and so much more.

Name:
Location: Chestertown, MD, United States

I have dyslexia. I will never run from this fact. I love it, hate it and live with it constantly.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Idols

Everyone has someone they’ve idolized in their history. Someone they wanted to be like and read about or watched on TV or in life. When I was younger for me the man who I was interested in most was Thomas Edison, and I still hold great respect for him and his accomplishments. Yes, part of my fascination in him is that he was dyslexic; he had a fascinating thought process. His actions as an individual are well known to me due to what I’ve read.

His thought process can be readily seen with his round about method to invention. He tested hundreds of different materials in his quest for a better light bulb. His inventions led to modern movies and even tattoo machines, audio recordings, batteries and so much more. However the greatest of his creations, in my mind, was his own laboratory building that could be turned on a round platform to utilize the best light year round rather then conforming to the standard design.

His lab is still standing to this day and is known as the first Industrial Lab. When I visited his home many years ago I was awed and inspired by what the man had accomplished and threw myself into all forms of science, much of which has stayed with me to this day. I have him to thank for it and I applaud his perseverance in coming though his dyslexia, and being kicked out of school.

Who is your idol? Could they be dyslexic? Check it out. Here’s a good list.
http://www.dyslexia.com/qafame.htm

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger AJ Star said...

my idol is cher, and she is dyslexic!!! okay, she's not my idol. but i did a report on her in 7th grade for our learning disabilities unit.

November 30, 2007 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

One of my idols is Henry David Thoreau, but I couldn't find anything about him being dyslexic. Apparently Albert Einstein was, though, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

December 1, 2007 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My dad is one of my idols. He's not dyslexic. But I did always love Einstein. And Leonardo DaVinci. What particularly fascinates me about DaVinci is that he did pretty much everything - arts, engineering, architecture, animal autopsies... He was constantly absorbing and observing the world around him. I also love that he wrote everything in his journals backwards, so he wouldn't smear it as he wrote (left-handed), and so others couldn't easily read his notes.

December 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to say those last two are both on your list.

December 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't think I have a dyslexic idol, but I have a brother who is dyslexic.

December 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a study done a few years ago that showed there are a disproportional of successful ceo's with dyslexia... they think because they have to learn to work around the problem they become more creative, tenacious, or perhaps both.

September 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home