Sydlexia

Life of a Dyslexic Student. Dealing with student life: homework, notes, social activities, and so much more.

Name:
Location: Chestertown, MD, United States

I have dyslexia. I will never run from this fact. I love it, hate it and live with it constantly.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

What is it?

How many people out there actualy understand what it is like to have a Learning Disability? Oh, I know everyone has moments when they can't remember how to spell 'ancient' or can't read the expression on someone's face or completely missunderstand what they are saying. But how many people out there know what it's like to have it all the time? I can give examples of it all day long. But it still doesn't help you realize what a person such as myself, and so many others have to deal with.

How about an experement? This will need a friend, two or three radios, a Television, and a dictionary. Confused? Just wait.

Sit down, start reading the dictionary, upside down. (The book upside down, not you.) Have your friend start turning on the radios all around you, low volume at first. Turn on the TV to some kids cartoon, and the radios to various stations. I sugest one rock, one talk, and one in a different language. Now while you're reading your dictionary your friend is going to walk around, and turn up the volume on each of them. Getting louder and louder a chaotic swirl of noise around you at all times while you try and focus on the book. It might drive you mad.

Now Imagine having to deal with that, all day, every day, for your entire life. Welcome to my world, and the world of so many others.

With this Blog I hope to take you into that world. Help you understand what it is to have a Learning Disability. The Good. The Bad. How awsome it can be, and how much it can hurt. I will be interviewing students, and teachers if I can find them, who have learning disabilities and getting their perspective on our situation.

I hope I haven't frightened you away just yet. There is a lot more to come.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your spelling is surprisingly good. My blog would be a mess if I didn't spell check it. I'm impressed.

September 22, 2007 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Alexander Sobotka said...

Thank you Aubrey. I'll get into it in a later post but It's only because I've consciously been working on it for the past 20 years. If I just let it go then I wouldn't be inteligable at all. I'll have examples of writing from people who have dyslexia and don't have the same mental checks as myself.

September 24, 2007 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger AJ Star said...

yeah i agree with aubrey! i was really impressed, too. but then i understand it now because you mentioned in class how you had to work hard to NOT correct yourself. keep up the gooooood work! :)

September 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Katharine Sofia said...

What a curious blog! I look forward to more.

Love from across the pond.

September 27, 2007 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about dysgraphia, 'cause I've got a friend who has that.

September 27, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Dysgraphic, and I can't type. Try explaining that to someone with no learning problems!
carjug

November 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home